Updated: Oct 16, 2018
There are around 100 autoimmune diseases (e.g., Lupus, Psoriasis, Multiple Sclerosis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, …) and many more others which have autoimmune origins (e.g., Alzheimer, Fibromyalgia, …).
It has been scientifically proven that 3 elements need to be present to develop an autoimmune disease, each counting for about 1/3 of the chance:
1) Genetic predispositions
2) Environmental toxins and infections
3) Diet and lifestyle, leading to leaky gut
We cannot change our genes but we can impact the triggers influencing the expression of our genes, we can switch off the genes responsible for a disease by reducing the inflammation in our body and healing our gut. Here are several holistic approaches you can apply, some requires to collaborate with your health practitioner (preferably holistic/functional medicine physician or naturopath).
- Detoxify your environment by choosing chemical-free and environmental friendly home and body-care products for cleaning, make-up, landscaping, gardening, shopping (clothes, food), washing (soap, shampoo), reduce the use of plastic, …
- Test for and treat infections due to parasites, bacteria, virus (Lyme, Epstein-Barr, SIBO, Candida, Herpes, H. Pylori, …) which are known triggers for autoimmune diseases.
- Determine your genes predispositions by genomics testing and follow appropriate interventions through food and supplements (called Culinary Genomics).
- Follow an anti-inflammatory diet and lifestyle, such as the Autoimmune Protocol (AIP).
The AIP is a powerful strategy that uses diet and lifestyle to regulate the immune system, putting an end to these attacks and giving the body the opportunity to heal. The AIP is focusing on a specific diet, eliminating inflammatory food for a period of time while increasing nutrient-dense intake, then re-introduce what the body is accepting, creating a personalized healing diet. The Protocol is not only about diet, several aspects of lifestyle are important to reduce inflammation, such as stress management, right amount of exercises, sleep (8-10 hours is the best), social interaction and connection with nature.
Do you want to know more about the Autoimmune Protocol (AIP) and think about starting it to manage naturally your autoimmune’ symptoms? As a Certified AIP Coach, I am here to support you through all the process to achieve this goal and get your life back.
Sources: AARDA, Dr Sarah Ballantyne (aka The Paleo Mom), Dr Amy Myers, Dr Izabella Wentz, Dr Chris Kresser, Genoma International.